I decided to pick up my rigid heddle loom again and start a new woven project. To that end, I bought some yarn in cute fall colors and warped the loom. I had it all set up, and finally started trying to actually weave – and discovered that the yarn I bought was too heavy for the heddle reed I have.
So I got depressed and did nothing for a day or two. Funny how one
failed project setback will make you think you can’t do anything right….
Then yesterday, I decided to try to make the best of the situation, and I ordered some new yarn for the warp, and planned to use the old yarn for the weft. This was going to be a pain in the ass AND the back because I’d have to UNwarp the loom and then REwarp it, which is hard on the spine. Or at least it’s hard on mine, maybe because I need to be using a taller work platform. At any rate, along with unwarping the loom, I’d need to salvage all the yarn I used, which is now cut into 6′ strands and would need to be tied together.
So you can understand how this salvaging job wouldn’t be filling me with glee.
BUT! I realized today that I’m using a 10 dent reed, which is definitely on the finer side. If I could use a 5 or 8 dent instead, this yarn should work! So, I just ordered an 8 dent reed to go with my loom. It was kinda expensive, so I should probably start planning to weave Christmas presents for everyone. (Don’t expect to get a woven Christmas present from me though – these things take time. I’ll see what I can do.)
Anyway, so I am excited about this weaving project again, having realized that I probably will not have to unwarp the whole damned loom. Very exciting. Unfortunately, I suspect that I’ll have to wait a bit to get the new reed since Amazon Prime does not sell them and I had to buy it from the loom manufacturer (better for the local economy anyway, I suppose…).
But anyway, wanted to share my excitement over realizing that I may not have to scrap this project. I would have taken pictures of my failed warp except I was too depressed, but I might take some of the salvage job. We’ll see!
One thought on “Salvaging!”
Yay! I’m glad it turned out this way. And, for future reference, you can refer to all the money spent on those “failures” as “educational expenses”. That makes it feel like it was in the budget and perfectly useful–as is often the case.
LikeLiked by 1 person